- Introduction to Global Basic Education Division for foreign students
- 게시글 내용
Please keep this information in mind while being introduced to our Global Basic Education Division and Residential College Program for foreign students incoming to Yonsei University.
1. Residential College Program
Yonsei University created the first Residential College Program in South Korea in 2011. Residential College is an educational model for prestigious universities to cultivate global leaders by fostering a healthy community culture and maximizing educational benefits through a program of creative community education, where learning and living are integrated. All of Yonsei University’s incoming freshmen should spend a year at the International Campus, located in Songdo, Incheon, so they can gain a variety of experiences through the Residential College Program.
2. Global Basic Education Division
Starting in 2019, incoming foreign Yonsei University students will belong to the Global Basic Education Division under the Global Leaders College (GLC) for a year, which will help them adapt to college life and enhance their learning abilities so they can go on to major in specialized fields. In the Global Basic Education Division, foreign students will receive education in fundamental liberal arts and be trained to use the Korean language at an advanced level.
A. Division by Grade
Freshmen (1st year)
Sophomore - Senior (2nd - 4th year)
Global Leaders College
Global Basic Education Division
College depending on Major
(Liberal Arts, Business and Economics,
Business, Engineering, etc)
Main Campus - Sinchon
B. Global Basic Education Division Curriculum
(1) Global Leaders College required liberal arts courses.
- Subjects exclusively for foreign students, such as Numbers and Life, An Introduction to Politics, Cultural Events of Korea, Digital Culture and Arts, Understanding Global Industry, Material and Civilization, GLC Mathematics, Society of Technology and Leadership, Asian Movies and Writers, etc.
(2) Korean language courses appropriate to student level
- Korean language courses are given to students matching their personal level based on their TOPIK results or their Korean level test score. A concentrated education is given to make students competent in the professional Korean required for their college majors.
Korean Language Course
Mon-Fri, 9 am – 1 pm
Korean Language Institute
Four GLC Korean language courses
GLC liberal arts courses and major subjects, including Thinking and Expression etc
(3) GLC English and GLC Mathematics
- The customized English-language courses given by English native-speaking professors are offered encourage students to become leaders in this era of globalization, and GLC Mathematics, the basic math course, is offered for students majoring in the sciences or engineering.
(4) Absolute evaluation system
- To lessen the burdens faced by foreign students, every course is graded with a criteria-based grading system (instead of on a curve). Also, every course is designed exclusively for foreign students to take them eliminating the burden of competing with Korean students.
C. Benefits of the Global Basic Education Division
(1) Premium Courses Exclusively for Foreign Students
This premium curriculum includes various courses taught in Korean in order to improve the ability of students to learn and to increase their satisfaction in their campus lives, helping them prepare appropriately for studying in their future major field.
(2) Liberal Arts at Global Leaders College
The liberal arts tailored specifically for foreign students allows them to acquire the core competencies required for being a college student by taking courses without being inhibited by a language barrier.
(3) Writing Programs and the Academic Support Center for Foreign Students
Various writing programs related to college courses are available for foreign students to help them study more effectively, offering them assistance for writing reports. Plus, for the year after being at the Global Basic Education Division, foreign students can get advice regarding their courses and can get professional or academic guidance from academic advisors. They can also receive administrative services as well as a counseling regarding the curriculum of the college they will enter into as a sophomore.
(4) Extracurricular Activity Programs
Foreign students will have the opportunity to gain diverse experiences and chances to learn through special programs designed exclusively for them, e.g. Korean Culture Experiences.
(5) One-stop Services, Including Airport Pick Up
To facilitate students in adapting to college life, we provide foreign students who enter Yonsei University the necessary guidance and services from day one. We pick them up from the airport and show them how to move into the dormitory, register for classes, and so forth.
(1) Period of belonging to the Global Basic Education Division: One full year starting on matriculation
(2) Tuition for the Global Basic Education Division: KRW 6,140,000(each semester) for the first year.
After becoming a sophomore, students will pay different amounts for tuition depending on their college/department.
Global Leaders College